HOWE SOUND SECONDARY SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
2020 SCHOLARSHIP PRESENTATION NIGHT:
May 19, 2020, at 7 PM, Eagle Eye Theatre
Recipients must attend presentation night to receive their awards.
Applications are due by 4:00 pm to School Office – Wednesday, March 11, 2020.
The HSS 2020 Scholarship Book includes all scholarships available at the time of production. Other opportunities may be available and will be advertised separately through school announcements and via email.
ADDITIONAL LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS (updated Mar 6, 2020)
Please open the document located below to view additional local scholarships that were finalized after the production of the 2020 Scholarship Book. These scholarships follow the same application requirements set out in the 2020 Scholarship Book.
HSS SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDS & BURSARIES – 2020 FORMS
Please ensure you use the correct form. Applications on the wrong form will be disqualified.
To use the following links, students must:
- be using google chrome as a browser
- Logged into google chrome with your sd48 credentials
- example: firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Scholarships and Awards
Below are some of the additional external scholarships and awards that may be available to you. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and that other opportunities may be available. It is the responsibility of the applicants to check websites for all details including deadlines and HSS will not be responsible for any potential errors.
APEG BC University Entrance & Entrance Transfer Scholarships
- The Engineers and Geoscientists BC Foundation offers several entry scholarships to British Columbia high school graduates entering engineering or Earth science programs at the University of British Columbia, University of Victoria, Simon Fraser University, British Columbia Institute of Technology, and the University of Northern British Columbia.
- The entry scholarships are awarded based on a combination of factors, including academic standing, extracurricular activities, financial need, and a student statement.
- Entrance scholarships to students entering the U of BC, SFU, U of V, or the UNBC that lead to a degree in engineering or geoscience.
- Engineering Entrance Transfer Scholarships valued at $1000.00 each for graduating high school students entering a college/university engineering transfer program in BC.
- Application information can be found at https://www.apeg.bc.ca/For-Students/Scholarships
Application Deadline: TBA on the website in April 2020
BC Aboriginal Student Award
- Open to BC residents of Aboriginal ancestry who have been active in their school or community and are planning to study in BC in:
- Approved trades training or apprenticeship program
- A certificate or diploma program
- An undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Masters or doctoral studies
- A teaching certificate
- Applications forms can be found at http://www.ikbbc.ca/aboriginal-awards/about-this-award/
Application Deadline: April 24, 2020
B.C. Principals’ & Vice-Principals’ Association – 10 at $1000.00 each
- A copy of the Ministry of Education’s official transcript of final grades (this document is issued to you in August from the Ministry of Education) which has been stamped and signed by a school official.
- Proof of paid registration at a post-secondary institution (a copy of tuition fee receipt or letter from the Office of the Registrar) (Note: A letter of acceptance is not considered proof of registration).
- A short essay, up to 250 words, indicating leadership roles held in your school and community and your post-secondary aspirations.
- A letter of reference from your principal or vice-principal who is a member of the BCPVPA (children of BCPVPA members must submit a letter from a principal or vice-principal who is not a parent or guardian).
- One additional letter of reference.
The application deadline for this year’s program will be announced shortly. Completed applications (available on the website in March 2018) must include your official government transcript of final grades, which is not issued until August. See the website for more details. http://bcpvpa.bc.ca/student-scholarships/.
Application Deadline: Sept 20, 2020.
BCIT Presidents Entrance Awards – 60 valued up to $3,000.00 each
- The selection of candidates is based on an evaluation of academic achievement, participation and contribution to school activities, leadership and citizenship as well as volunteer and/or community service. The BCIT President’s Entrance Award can be applied to any full-time BCIT credential program.
- Students may download copies of the BICT Entrance Award package directly from their website at http://www.bcit.ca/finaid/awards/entranceawards.shtml
Application Deadline: August 5, 2020
BCIT Entrance Awards – 90 valued up to $4,500.00
- All Entrance Awards are adjudicated on a competitive basis. Selection is based on academic standing in secondary school and/or post-secondary studies. Other factors may be taken into consideration such as participation in school activities, community involvement and demonstrated leadership qualities. Where applicable, these additional criteria are listed under the Award-specific Information section in entrance award descriptions.
- Students may download copies of the BICT Entrance Award package directly from their website at http://www.bcit.ca/finaid/awards/entranceawards.shtml.
Application Deadline: August 5, 2020, for programs starting between April and November 2020 and January 6, 2021, for programs starting between December 2020 to March 2020.
Capilano Community Leadership Award (CCLA) valued at $2,500
- Capilano University is introducing a new suite of entrance awards for its 2019-2020 academic year to provide more robust supports for students entering the university from a variety of diverse backgrounds. This award will recognize high school students who are entering the university with a strong academic standing as well as leadership and volunteerism in the community.
- Application information and eligibility criteria can be found at https://www.capilanou.ca/admissions/fees–finances/financial-aid–awards/scholarships-bursaries–awards/future-students/
Application Deadline: March 1, 2020
The Educational Facility Managers Association of British Columbia – 5 at $1000.00
- The Educational Facility Managers Association of British Columbia is pleased to offer five $1,000.00 bursaries to graduates of the 2017/2018 school year. Our association is comprised of administrative and management personnel of school districts who are responsible for construction, maintenance and custodial services, etc.
- These bursaries are offered to secondary students completing their grade 12 year who will enter a recognized post-secondary educational institution in the 2018/2019 term. Bursaries will be awarded on the basis of academic achievement and/or special needs.
- Preference will be given to students entering the fields of engineering, architecture, or building technology. Should there not be suitable applications received in these fields, students in other courses of study will be considered, however, all applicants MUST be dependents of school district employees in the school plant area (i.e. Maintenance or Custodial).
- Students may download more information at https://www.efmabc.com/education/bursaries
Application Deadline: TBA spring 2020
Vancouver Community College – various scholarships, awards and bursaries
- There are various scholarship, award and bursary options for students enrolled at VCC.
- Please go to the website to view the opportunities at http://www.vcc.ca/applying/registration-services/financial-aid/.
Application Deadline: various, refer to website
STUDENT TRANSCRIPT SERVICE
Student Transcript Service (STS) is an online application for students to view their school marks, scholarships and transcript, and send transcripts electronically.
You can use the StudentTranscripts service to:
- View or order your secondary school transcript
- Send your secondary school transcripts to post-secondary institutions
- Order your graduation certificate
- View your scholarships
- View your provincial exam or graduation assessment results
STEP 1: Go to the Ministry of Education’s Transcript and Certificate web page at www.bced.gov.bc.ca/transcript.
STEP 2: Students must sign up for a BC Government account – a BCeID. Follow the system prompts and register for STS. Students will require their Personal Education Number (PEN). Finally, log-in to Student Transcript Service using the BCeID.
STEP 3: From a student’s STS dashboard, make post-secondary institution selections, view transcript, view assessment results and send transcripts immediately.