At Howe Sound Secondary, we believe that regular attendance and punctuality is fundamentally important. To increase the probability that students will succeed, we expect you to:
- Attend 100% of the time except for illness or emergency. An absence can only be excused by a parent or guardian.
- Arrive at classes on-time, prepared to learn. Students should not request permission to leave classes except for illness, or in an emergency situation. Where possible, appointments should be scheduled outside of school hours.
- Remain in their classes for the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes of each block.
- Have parents/guardians inform the school in advance by telephone at (604) 892-5261, or in writing, when late, or when absent.
- Discuss any absence with teachers. Missed work and assignments are the responsibility of the student. Make-up opportunities may be provided at the teacher’s discretion. Students may receive a Fail if they miss classes and do not make arrangements with their teachers for missed time and/or work.
- Sign out at the office if required to leave during the school day. We expect the parent/guardian’s written permission for early dismissal. In cases where written permission is not provided the office staff will phone to obtain verbal permission from the parent/guardian.
If lates and absences become habitual, a parent/guardian will be notified in writing and should this behaviour continue, removal from the class and/or school may result.