Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope this message finds you and your family healthy and safe.
On behalf of the entire HSS staff, I would like to express our gratitude and appreciation to those essential service workers in our community who are making great efforts to keep us all safe during this unprecedented time.
The purpose of this email is to provide parents with updated information regarding our school’s transition to online learning opportunities for our students. Here are some key points:
- A number of staff have already started establishing lines of communication with their students through several forms of online platforms including Google Classrooms, school email system, and text messaging.
- Staff are meeting in teacher teams to determine the specific curricular content for online learning opportunities. A number of classes will be ready for online learning as early as next week.
- Our school will make Chromebook computers available on loan for any student upon request to accommodate online learning. Please click here to request a school laptop computer for your child.
- If your child requires any technical support for logging onto online learning opportunities provided by our teaching staff, please contact our Tech. Support Team consisting of:
- As of Thursday this week, students will be able to access our school for a 15 minute block of time to collect their personal belongings and learning resources such as textbooks, notebooks, and class supplies. Please click here to book a school access time for your child.
As we transition into online learning opportunities, we can anticipate of number frequently asked questions and answers which may include the following:
Question: What will course marks be based on?
Answer: The Ministry of Education has stated that teachers are to determine a final grade for students based on work completed to-date and the assessment of participation in learning opportunities that will occur over the coming months. The Ministry has also indicated that final report cards will be issued in June.
Question: Will every course offer online learning opportunities?
Answer: Some courses which require specialized equipment or unique environments may not be possible for students to access from home. For courses with unique challenges, teachers have the discretion to provide a passing grade if sufficient learning has been achieved.
Question: Is my child required to do online learning?
Answer: We are aware of instances in which students are working part-time or even full time to supplement their family income. Other students may be providing daycare for children of Essential Services Workers. Teachers will be taking into account the many contexts in which our students find themselves when assessing student participation in online learning opportunities. Two-way communication between teacher and student will be imperative to assist staff with making any such accommodations.
Question: If my child has an Individualized Learning Plan (I.E.P.) will the adaptations outlined in their I.E.P. be applied to any online learning opportunities.
Answer: Yes, any learning adaptations available to students through their I.E.P. will be applicable to any online learning opportunities where feasible. Learning Support Teachers will connect with individual students requiring additional support to participate in online learning.
I acknowledge that this is a lot of information to digest and there are a number of questions still, however, I hope this serves as a starting point that we can build upon. I also know that this will be a challenging time for all of us, students in particular. I want to also acknowledge that it is extremely difficult for students to engage in their learning if they are experiencing feelings of stress and anxiety. Please know that Howe Sound Secondary staff are aware of this and will be working to help them navigate through this. This is not a normal situation and learning will not look the same – it is important to acknowledge that and to respond to it purposefully.
We will keep you updated with further updates as they come forward.
Please feel free to contact me via email or call at 604 892-5261 ext. 105 if you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s education.
Howe Sound Secondary